Saturday 17 September 2011

Fish and chips

Anna and I were out last night, and had fish and chips. It was delicious - and it tasted even better knowing that many other Catholics would be joining us in abstaining from meat as it was a Friday.

We have always abstained on Fridays, for several reasons:
  • I knew that if we didn't, it was unlikely we'd remember to do some other penance
  • I think it helpful to retain a Catholic identity by doing what those who preceded us (and those who think like us) did and do
  • I tend to hang on to traditions anyway.

But I think we'll add abstaining from alcohol to our Friday practice, just to keep it fresh - and penitential (those fish and chips were really good!)

PS I blogged about why this was a good idea here - all credit to our bishops!

No comments: